Here is a great video about the dangers of improperly storing your 9 volt batteries:
Are you ready for the next big storm? While there is nothing in the forecast for another Hurricane Sandy anytime soon, winter storms cause severe delays that cripple infrastructure even if only temporary. There is a reason schools close in bad weather—it simply isn’t safe to drive. If your local school closes down you should close down too and stay inside until the storm passes. If you prepare yourself in advance for storms the reasons to go out significantly diminish. Make sure you stock up on flashlights, snacks, blankets and water. We always hope that power won’t go out but unfortunately it does sometimes so it is always best to be ready. If you choose to have a wood burning fireplace going make sure that the chimney is clean and ashes are disposed of properly. DO NOT dispose of ashes when they are hot or even warm—doing so will start a fire. If you keep a kerosene heater on ensure that it is placed far from any combustible objects. Lastly do not start a generator unless it is installed properly by a professional. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and if fumes from a generator find its way into your house, you will be exposed to toxic gas. The key thing to keep in mind is to be prepared; have a plan in advance for big storms and do not underestimate the dangers that snow and ice pose to your safety. Stay off the roads whenever you can and avoid both driving and walking on ice. Here at the Armonk Fire Department we are always looking out for the safety of our fellow residents and we will post safety tips like those above as often as we can. Stay safe this holiday season! Please share this with your friends and family so they can be a little safer too. Remember if there is an emergency ensure your personal safety and dial 911.
We like to share safety tips with you to help keep you and your family safe. Check out this great video about how hot it gets in a parked car (even with the windows open) This just shows that you should never leave your pet (or your kids) in a parked car unattended.
We saw this chilling report on the news this morning about smoke detectors and children. They found that often times children don’t wake up to smoke alarms.
We just changed our clocks (and hopefully the batteries in your smoke and CO detectors) now would be a great time to come up with a emergency evacuation plan.
1. When the smoke alarms go off… Get out
2. If you have small children make sure you make sure they get up.
3. Find a designated meeting area outside
4. Call 911
5. Don’t go back in the house to get anything. People often get trapped after they go back in the house during a fire. Continue reading
Three times as many cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving and the Holiday season
November 16, 2012 – While most people consider overeating the greatest peril of Thanksgiving,cooking the day’s feast presents its own risks, too.
The National Fire Protection Association(NFPA) says Thanksgiving Day is the leading day for home cooking fires, with three times as many occurring on Thanksgiving as any other day of the year. In 2010, there were 1,370 fires on Thanksgiving, a 219 percent increase over the daily average. Continue reading
We found this video on generator safety. It goes fairly in depth on the science behind how CO gets into your home, but we think it is still important to watch. It is crucial that you place your generator at a safe distance from your house not only for CO, but also incase of fire.
It’s that time of year again to change your clock, but more importantly, change your batteries in your smoke and CO detectors. The batteries in your detectors should be changed twice a year, and a good time to do that is when you change the clocks. Having working detectors is crucial to keeping you and your family safe.
What is carbon monoxide? CO, often called “the silent killer,” is a gas you cannot see, taste, or smell. It can be created when fossil fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, methane or wood do not burn properly.
Where does carbon monoxide come from? CO poisoning can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers or cars left running in garages.
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning? Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, nausea and drowsiness. Exposure to undetected high levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal. Continue reading
Many throughout Armonk and Westchester still do not have power, and now with the next storm approaching, and the temperatures falling it is more important than ever to be safe. We would like to share some safety tips with you about candle safety.
There are about 42 candle fires reported every day, and about 20% of the fires are caused by unattended candles. Typically, candle fire deaths happen between midnight and 6am. This usually happens because people forget to blow out the candles before they go to bed. Continue reading
Many of us still do not have power due to Hurricane Sandy. Although it is getting cold it is still important to stay safe. We want to remind all of you about some fireplace safety tips from last year. There have been some recent fires throughout the county due to improper use of stoves and fireplaces. Continue reading
Sherlita Amler, MD, Commissioner, Department of Health
Ned McCormack, Communications Director
Contact: Caren Halbfinger (914) 813-5013 / after hours: 813-5000
October 31, 2012
GENERATOR, STOVE AND CHAIN SAW SAFETY
Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The Westchester County Department of Health is alerting residents and businesses with generators, camp cook stoves, and chain saws to only operate them out of doors. They produce carbon monoxide and can be a source of CO poisoning. During a power outage, generators can be dangerous if not used properly. Using a generator indoors can kill you in minutes! Continue reading