The Armonk Fire Department responded to a small Fire on 5/14. It was reported that there was a fire on the roof of a house. We responded quickly and were able to extinguish the fire quickly before it spread.
Thanks to all the other departments that assisted and responded Mutual Aid.
In service training with Paratech Rescue Struts Stabilization System. This system will allow us to better stabilize vehicles, lift vehicles off of another in the case of a roll over, and much more. These can also be used as a first response to building or trench collapse situations. We performed in service training on Monday night to get familiar with the new equipment before it goes in service. Simulating a motorcyclist or a person trapped underneath, we were able to successfully lift the front wheels of a large dump truck allowing EMS to remove the patient. Continue reading →
We saw this chilling report on the news this morning about smoke detectors and children. They found that often times children don’t wake up to smoke alarms.
We just changed our clocks (and hopefully the batteries in your smoke and CO detectors) now would be a great time to come up with a emergency evacuation plan.
1. When the smoke alarms go off… Get out
2. If you have small children make sure you make sure they get up.
3. Find a designated meeting area outside
4. Call 911
5. Don’t go back in the house to get anything. People often get trapped after they go back in the house during a fire. Continue reading →
On April 27,2013 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the North Castle Police Department and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) will give the public another opportunity to prevent pill abuse and theft by ridding their homes of potentially dangerous expired,unused and unwanted prescription drugs. Bring your medications for disposal to the North Castle Police Department at 15 Bedford Road.,Armonk,N.Y. The service is free and anonymous, no questions asked. Please forward this information to your friends and neighbors
We hope that everyone had a happy and safe holiday season. It’s getting quite cold outside so we want to remind you about good fireplace safety. A warm fire place in winter is always cozy, but remember that embers can stay warm for up to 7 days! Make sure you dispose of them properly after they cooled in a metal container, and don’t place them anywhere near or inside the house.
We responded to 93 fire calls and 43 ambulance calls for a total of 136 alarms from the day Hurricane Sandy hit on Monday, October 29th to Saturday, November 10th, a couple of days after the snow storm.
Three times as many cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving and the Holiday season
November 16, 2012 – While most people consider overeating the greatest peril of Thanksgiving,cooking the day’s feast presents its own risks, too.
The National Fire Protection Association(NFPA) says Thanksgiving Day is the leading day for home cooking fires, with three times as many occurring on Thanksgiving as any other day of the year. In 2010, there were 1,370 fires on Thanksgiving, a 219 percent increase over the daily average. Continue reading →
We found this video on generator safety. It goes fairly in depth on the science behind how CO gets into your home, but we think it is still important to watch. It is crucial that you place your generator at a safe distance from your house not only for CO, but also incase of fire.
It’s that time of year again to change your clock, but more importantly, change your batteries in your smoke and CO detectors. The batteries in your detectors should be changed twice a year, and a good time to do that is when you change the clocks. Having working detectors is crucial to keeping you and your family safe.
What is carbon monoxide? CO, often called “the silent killer,” is a gas you cannot see, taste, or smell. It can be created when fossil fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, methane or wood do not burn properly.
Where does carbon monoxide come from? CO poisoning can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers or cars left running in garages.
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning? Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, nausea and drowsiness. Exposure to undetected high levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal. Continue reading →